Phosphalugel belongs to the group of antacid preparations, which also have an enveloping and adsorbing effect.
The active ingredient of the drug is aluminum phosphate. Phosphalugel can neutralize free hydrochloric acid in the stomach, as well as reduce the activity of pepsin. For ten minutes, under the influence of the drug, the acidity decreases to a level of 3.5-5.
The drug is absorbed on the mucous membrane of the stomach, preventing the influence of aggressive factors on the mucous membrane of the duodenum and stomach. In addition, Phosphalugel enhances their own protective mechanisms, does not affect the physiology of digestion, almost does not cause the reactive secretion of hydrochloric acid (HCl). Due to the absorbing effect of the drug, viruses, bacteria, gases, exo- and endotoxins are removed from the gastrointestinal tract.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
Can be bought without a doctor's prescription.
How much does Phosphalugel in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 185 rubles.
Composition and release form
The dosage form of Phosphalugel is a gel for oral administration: homogeneous, white or almost white, with an orange smell (16 or 20 g in sachet bags or 16 g in sticks, 6 sticks or 20 sachets in a carton) .
The composition of the gel:
- active ingredient: aluminum phosphate gel 20%;
- auxiliary components: sorbitol 70%, pectin, orange flavoring, agar-agar 800, potassium sorbate, purified water, calcium sulfate dihydrate.
Colloidal aluminum phosphate (gel) has a triple therapeutic effect, which is achieved through a combination of antacid, enveloping and sorbing effects. In addition, Phosphalugel has an analgesic effect.
- Sorbing action. Allows the drug to bind various pathogens and harmful substances in the intestinal lumen, and bring them out. In other words, Phosphalugel acts as a sorbent. The gel is able to bind bacteria, viruses, toxic substances from outside or formed in the body as a result of vital activity, as well as gases that are the products of rotting and fermentation processes in the intestine. Phosphalugel has excellent safety performance, since it does not cause strong alkalisation of the digestive juice and cannot lead to enhanced production of hydrochloric acid in response to its binding and neutralization. In addition, the use of Phosphalugel for a long period of time does not lead to impaired phosphorus metabolism.
- Enveloping action. It consists in the ability of colloidal aluminum phosphate particles to adsorb onto the mucous membrane of the esophagus, stomach and intestines, creating a special mucoid layer on it. This mucoid layer protects mucous membranes from the aggressive effects of hydrochloric acid, pepsin, as well as toxic substances entering the body from the outside or produced as a result of metabolism. The protective effect on the mucous membranes of the digestive organs leads to the normalization of the movement of the food lump in the intestine.
- Antacid effect. It consists in binding the hydrochloric acid of the gastric juice with its neutralization due to the formation of salt - aluminum chloride. Neutralization of hydrochloric acid allows to reduce the acidity of gastric juice to normal levels (pH from 3.5 to 5) within 10 minutes after taking the gel inside. After reaching the normal acidity of the gastric juice, the neutralization reaction slows down, almost stopping. And the remaining amount of active ingredient is spent on maintaining the normal acidity of gastric juice for a long time. This maintenance of acidity at a normal level is achieved due to the buffer properties of aluminum phosphate. Normalization of the pH of gastric juice leads to a decrease in the activity of the digestive enzyme pepsin.
Indications for use
What helps? Phosphalugel is used to treat diseases of the gastrointestinal tract with moderate or high acidity. The drug is used in combination with other drugs or as monotherapy.
- Effective with flatulence, heartburn, which occur due to improper diet, with excessive use of alcohol, nicotine, coffee.
- It is also used for gastrointestinal disorders, intoxication, intestinal infections, while taking medicines that can cause digestive disorders.
- Indicated in gastric ulcer / duodenal ulcer, acute or chronic gastritis with normal secretion or hypersecretion, gastro-oesophageal reflux complications and without, diaphragmatic hernia, non-ulcer dyspepsia syndrome, duodenal-gastric reflux, functional diarrhea.
Despite the good tolerability of the drug, it has some contraindications for use, including:
- Chronic renal failure.
- Hypersensitivity to the composition.
Given the individual characteristics of each organism, before taking the drug you need to consult with a specialist.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
If there is evidence of the drug Phosphalugel gel can be taken by pregnant women. Aluminum phosphate does not cause developmental abnormalities in the fetus and does not have an embryotoxic effect even with the use of the drug in early pregnancy.
Phosphalugel can be taken orally nursing mothers, no harm to the infant is observed.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use Phosphalugel is intended for oral administration. The drug can be used in pure form or diluted in water.
A single dosage of Phosphalugel is 1-2 sachets (1 sachet contains 8.8 g of the active substance). The multiplicity of reception - two or three times a day. In the case of poisoning, burns caustic drugs dosage is 3-5 bags at a time.
With reflux esophagitis, ulcerative lesions of the gastrointestinal tract, phosphalugel is taken at bedtime or two hours after a meal, with pain syndrome - immediately. With diaphragmatic hernia, it is recommended to take the drug immediately after a meal, as well as before bedtime, with enterocolitis - before eating twice a day, with colopathy - before breakfast and before bedtime.
- The duration of therapy with Phosphalugel will be determined by the doctor based on the symptoms of the disease.
According to the indications, Phosphalugel can be applied in pediatrics in the following dosages: under the age of 6 months - 4g or a teaspoon after each feeding (6 times); after 6 months - 8g or 2 teaspoons after each feeding (4 times).
Side effects from taking this drug are extremely rare, most often in bedridden patients or elderly patients, in the form of constipation.
Due to the fact that there are a large amount of aluminum ions, a decrease in intestinal motility may occur. For treatment should be applied laxatives.
In patients with concomitant renal insufficiency, thirst, a decrease in blood pressure, a decrease in reflexes are possible.
Use with caution in high doses in elderly patients and in patients with impaired renal function (due to the possible risk of cumulation of aluminum phosphate, leading to constipation).
Compatibility with other drugs
With simultaneous use of citrates, ascorbic acid increases the absorption of aluminum from the gastrointestinal tract.
Aluminum preparations, which are used as antacids, interact with the majority of oral medications both by changing the pH of the gastric juice and rapid emptying of the stomach, and by adsorption to form complexes that are not absorbed.
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used Phosphalugel:
- Marina. Many drugs for heartburn have been tried by me, but the effectiveness was questionable. To date, phosphalugel for me is the number one drug in the fight against heartburn, even when I was in a position I took it on the recommendation of a doctor. Therefore, in my home medicine cabinet there is always this drug.
- Dasha. I was discharged by a doctor in case of toxicosis, two weeks before it was taken there were terrible pains in the right hypochondrium area, the tests were in the hospital were excellent, it turned out that there was something with the intestines, I didn’t live, but on the second day everything started to pass, even my appetite appeared. Of course it is better to first consult, but in the bag I keep for every fireman.
- Anna. Very good and effective drug, indispensable for gastritis and heartburn, it was prescribed by my daughter's gastroenterologist with reflux esophagitis. My daughter took the drug with pleasure, because it has a pleasant taste, it is easy to take, even without drinking, for small children. Convenient packaging allows you to keep it always at hand and, if necessary, take it immediately. I take “Phosphalugel” with exacerbations of gastritis, it has an enveloping effect and soothes an irritated stomach.
Structural analogues of the active substance:
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
Phosphalugel must be stored in a dry place protected from direct sunlight. Keep out of the reach of children. Storage temperature is from + 15⁰С to + 25⁰С. Shelf life is three years.