Flavamed is a drug that is prescribed for coughing with sputum that is difficult to separate. The drug acts in two directions: it dilutes mucus and creates conditions for its rapid evacuation from the respiratory tract.
The main active ingredient of the drug is Ambroxol. It stimulates the function of the secretory glands of the epithelium of the bronchi, accelerates the production of biologically active substances that line the inner surface of the alveoli. The substance dilutes the sputum and increases it in volume, stabilizes the chemical composition of the exudate in accordance with physiological norms.
By activating special enzymes Ambroxol reduces the viscosity of mucus. Stimulates the work of cilia of the ciliated epithelium.
Mucolytic and expectorant drug.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
Can be bought without a doctor's prescription.
How much does Flawamed cost in pharmacies? The average price is at 150 rubles.
Composition and release form
Flavamed dosage forms of release:
- tablets: white or almost white with a yellowish tinge, plane-parallel, round, with one-sided marking and beveled edges (10 pieces in blisters, in a cardboard bundle 1, 2 or 5 blisters);
- Solution for oral administration: clear, brownish or colorless, has a raspberry smell (in dark glass bottles of 60, 100 or 200 ml, in a cardboard bundle one bottle complete with a measuring spoon).
- The composition of one tablet of the drug contains 30 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride + excipients (corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, magnesium stearate).
- Flavamed syrup contains active substance 15 ml per 5 ml, excipients (purified water, glycerol 85%, hydroxyethylcellulose, raspberry flavor, benzoic acid, sorbitol 70%).
The drug belongs to the group of drugs with mucolytic action. The main active ingredient is Ambroxol, which is a substituted benzylamine, the active metabolite of bromhexine. The structure of ambroxol as an active substance contains a hydroxyl group, while the methyl group is absent, in contrast to bromhexine.
Admission Flavamed drug is aimed at stimulating sputum discharge, subject to the presence of wet cough. The mechanism of action is mainly associated with an increase in the activity of the ciliated epithelium and wavy contractions of the respiratory bronchioles, with a slight increase in the secretion of bronchial glands and a decrease in the viscosity of sputum, due to an increase in the proportion of the serous component in the secret of the bronchi. Due to the impact on the clara cells and alveolocytes, which are located separately in the single-layer epithelium of the bronchioles, the drug stimulates the effect on the surfactant system. Ambroxol has the ability to increase the permeability of the vascular barrier of the broncho-pulmonary system. So the drug has mucolytic and sekhotomotornym action.
After taking the drug, its active substance is almost completely adsorbed. The maximum concentration is reached in 1-3 hours. After the first passage through the human liver, the bioavailability of ambroxol when administered orally is reduced by one third. The active ingredient of the drug is 85% able to bind to plasma proteins. Ambroxol is able to penetrate the blood-brain barrier, through the placenta and, accordingly, into breast milk, so this should be considered when prescribing the drug to pregnant women and women during lactation.
Ambroxol metabolites formed in the liver, are excreted by the kidneys about 90%. The remaining 10% are displayed unchanged. In case of drug overdose, hemodialysis and forced diuresis are ineffective due to the high degree of binding to the blood plasma proteins of the drug, as well as due to the fact that the drug slowly moves from the tissues to the blood.
When taking the drug during severe renal dysfunction, the accumulation of its metabolites is possible. In cases of severe liver disease, the rate of purification of the body from the drug is reduced by 20-40%.
Indications for use
The main direction of use of the drug according to the instructions are diseases of the respiratory tract. These include:
- bronchial asthma;
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease;
- respiratory distress syndrome in newborns or premature babies;
- acute, chronic diseases of the respiratory tract, accompanied by a violation of the transport of sputum.
- Children's age up to 6 years;
- Pregnancy 1 trimester;
- Fructose intolerance.
It is also indicated that the drug is used with caution in such patients, in the history of which there are:
- Impaired motor function of the bronchi;
- The formation of secretions in large quantities;
- Fixed cilia syndrome;
- Renal hepatic impairment;
- Gastrointestinal ulcer;
- Pregnancy 2-3 trimesters;
- Age up to 2 years for the solution.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
- I trimester of pregnancy - therapy is contraindicated;
- II-III trimesters and breastfeeding period - the drug can be administered with caution.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use, Flawamed is taken after meals: pills - without chewing and washing down with a sufficient amount of liquid; solution - using a measuring spoon. The duration of use is determined individually, depending on the evidence and the course of the disease.
- Adults and children over 12 years old within the first 2-3 days should be prescribed 3 times / day, 30 mg (1 tablet or 2 scoops (10 ml) of the solution, which corresponds to 90 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride / day, then 2 times / 30 mg per day (1 tab. or 2 measuring spoons), (which corresponds to 60 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride / day. If necessary, 60 mg (2 tab. or 4 measuring spoons (20 ml) of solution) can be used to enhance the therapeutic effect. ) 2 times / day (which corresponds to 120 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride / day).
- Children aged 6 to 12 years: 2-3 times / day for 15 mg (1/2 tab. Or 1 rpm. Spoon of solution), which corresponds to 30-45 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride / day.
- Children aged 2 to 6 years, the drug is prescribed only in the form of a solution 3 times / day for 1/2 mer. spoons (2.5 ml), which corresponds to 22.5 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride / day.
- Children under 2 years: 2 times / day for 1/2 measuring spoon (2.5 ml) of the solution, which corresponds to 15 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride / day.
In case of renal failure or severe liver damage, the interval between doses should be increased or the dose reduced.
Without prescription, Flavamed should not be taken for more than 4-5 days.
Side effects manifested in the form of:
- Allergic reactions of the skin and respiratory type;
- Diarrhea, dry mouth, constipation, nausea, vomiting and pain in the stomach;
- Weakness and headache;
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis;
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome.
The most frequent adverse events were cutaneous manifestations such as itching, hives, and edema. The very same manifestation of symptoms occurred only in some people prone to allergic reactions,
Main symptoms: vomiting, brief anxiety, nausea, diarrhea; in the case of taking the drug in much higher than the recommended doses (above 25 mg / kg per day) - salivation, lowering blood pressure.
Therapy: intake of fat-containing products, artificial vomiting, gastric lavage in the first 1-2 hours after ingestion of Flavamed, symptomatic treatment.
In severe renal failure, the possibility of accumulation of ambroxolol metabolites formed in the liver must be considered.
To maintain the secretolytic action of Ambroxol during the period of taking the drug, it is necessary to ensure the intake of fluids in an organism in sufficient quantity.
When prescribing the drug to patients with diabetes mellitus, it should be borne in mind that 5 ml of solution (1 scool) contains 1.75 g of sorbitol, which corresponds to 0.15 XE.
Compatibility with other drugs
Increases bronchial secretion in amoxicillin, cefuroxime, erythromycin and doxycycline.
With the combined use of ambroxol and antitussive drugs that suppress the cough reflex, due to the weakening of the cough reflex, there may be a risk of stagnation in the bronchi.
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used Flavamed:
- Lydia Three years in the morning was a raw cough, like a smoker, (I have never smoked). What I just didn’t drink from drugs and what I didn’t use: both the photon and the heating and grinding, nothing helped. But Flavamed (pills) helped. Until now, I do not know what a cough is.
- Arseny. I started taking the Flavamed tablets when I realized that the cough was caused not just by a cold, but by a serious illness. I did not want to go to the doctor, so I bought them at the nearest pharmacy. It turned out that I was allergic to one of the components of the composition, so the tablets gave a complication. I will no longer accept the funds that I assigned myself.
- Alina. Very worthy cough medicine. Not surprising, because the active substance Ambroxol. Always very carefully check the composition of the medicine. The drug helps me very well if the cough is dry and difficult to expect sputum. Just a couple of days (a day or two) and relief comes. I also continue to take it when the cough has become “wet,” the secret stands out faster. I recommend unequivocally. The undoubted advantage is that “Flavamed” is produced in the form of syrup, which is convenient for the treatment of bronchitis in children. Gave the child - like it. Syrup has a pleasant taste and smell.
To replace the drug can means with mucolytic or expectorant effect based on the same or another active ingredient. Analogues of the drug:
- Lasolvan - lozenges, solution for inhalation, tablets and syrup based on ambroxol;
- Mukolvan - solution and tablets with mucolytic action;
- Ambrobene - capsules, tablets, syrup and solution based on the same active ingredient;
- Mucosol - solution for infusions, syrup and capsules containing carbocysteine;
- Lazoleks - solution for inhalation and oral drops containing ambroxol;
- Ambrosprey - oral solution with the same active substance;
- Fluditec - carbocysteine-based syrup for children and adults;
- Pectolvan - strawberry syrup containing carbocysteine, ambroxol hydrochloride.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
Store at temperatures up to 25 ° C. Keep out of the reach of children.
- pills - 2 years;
- solution - 3 years.
After opening the package, the solution can be taken for 6 months.