Creon is an enzyme medicine used to improve digestion in adults and children.
The mechanism of action of the drug is to mix pancreatin minimicrospheres with intestinal contents. After reaching the minimicrospheres of the small intestine, at a pH level greater than 5.5, the enteric coating is destroyed.
Due to the release of pancreatic enzymes with amylolytic, lipolytic and proteolytic activity, a more complete breakdown of food components (fats, carbohydrates and proteins) occurs.
Clinical and pharmacological group
This drug is able to compensate for the lack of enzymes in the pancreas.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much is Creon 10,000? The average price in pharmacies is about 300 rubles.
Release form and composition
The drug is produced in the form of enteric solid capsules containing light brown minimicrospheres - pancreatin (active ingredient):
- Creon 10,000 - with a content of 150 mg of pancreatin (which corresponds to 10,000 IU Ph.Eur. Lipase);
- Creon 25000 - with a content of 300 mg of pancreatin (which corresponds to 25,000 IU Ph.Eur. Lipase);
- Creon 40000 - containing 400 mg of pancreatin (which corresponds to 40,000 IU Ph.Eur. Lipase).
When using the medication for children, it should be taken into account that Creon 1000 is not released, and in Pediatrics, Creon 10000 is used, the dose of which the doctor calculates based on the age and body weight of the child.
The drug is available in bottles of 20, 50 and 100 pieces.
Creon includes pancreatin of porcine origin in the form of an enteric-coated minimicrosphere. The contents of the capsule are resistant to acidic environment, dissolves quickly, releasing the granules. This provides excellent mixing of the drug with the contents of the stomach, transportation to the intestines and a good distribution of enzymes in it.
When microspheres enter the small intestine, the membrane dissolves, releasing lipolytic, amylolytic and proteolytic enzymes. They provide the breakdown of fats, carbohydrates and proteins. After pancreatic digestion, foods are absorbed immediately or after hydrolysis by intestinal enzymes with intestinal contents. According to research, the effect of the drug is manifested in the lumen of the gastrointestinal tract.
According to reviews of scientists who conducted the experiments, the drug does not show toxicity in the small intestine and other parts of the intestine.
Indications for use
The drug Creon 10,000 is used in the replacement therapy of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency due to a violation of the production of enzymes or their excessive destruction in the intestinal lumen against the background of the gastrointestinal tract.
As a rule, Creon is prescribed for pathological conditions like:
- Cystic fibrosis;
- After surgery on the pancreas;
- Pancreatic or bile duct obstruction;
- After gastric gastrectomy;
- Partial removal of the stomach;
- Chronic pancreatitis;
- After a recent acute pancreatitis attack;
- Shwachman-Diamond Syndrome;
- Pancreatic oncology;
- In preparation for the x-ray or ultrasound diagnosis of the abdominal organs.
Also, the drug is often recommended for violations in the diet, if you can not chew food thoroughly, hypodynamic life, as well as patients who are forced to follow bed rest for a long time.
The list of contraindications for Creon is modest. It can even take young children breastfed, but sometimes you have to refrain from taking the medicine on the basis of contraindications.
It is not allowed to take the drug in case of individual intolerance of one of the components included in Creon-10000. If a child has swallowed a capsule, and an allergic reaction has occurred, it is necessary to immediately stop taking the medication. You can not independently begin treatment without a thorough examination by a doctor. Pancreas hyperfunction is a direct contraindication to the use of enzymes.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
There is no data on how safe it is to take Creon during pregnancy and lactation. This applies in general to any enzymes of the pancreas. Therefore, the use of the drug is permissible only when the expected benefit from treatment for the mother significantly exceeds the likely danger to the fetus or baby.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicated: Kreon 10,000 capsules are taken orally during a meal or immediately after each meal, including light snacks. They must be swallowed whole and washed down with plenty of liquid.
Patients who have difficulty swallowing, and children can take capsules carefully and add the mini-microspheres contained in them to soft foods that do not require chewing and have a sour taste, or take them with a liquid with a sour taste. Foods that are acceptable for mixing include apple sauce, yogurt, fruit juices (apple, pineapple, and orange) with a pH <5.5. Such mixtures are not to be stored, therefore should be used immediately after preparation. Do not mix the contents of the capsules with hot food.
- The dose of Creon 10,000 (in terms of lipase) is selected individually, taking into account the type of violation, the severity of the disease, the composition of the diet and the patient's body weight.
- For cystic fibrosis, at the beginning of treatment, adults and children from 4 years of age are prescribed 500 U / kg, children under 4 years old - 1000 U / kg with each meal. Depending on the severity of the symptoms of the disease, the results of steatorrhea control and individual sensitivity, the dose can be adjusted. For most patients, the daily dose does not exceed 10,000 U / kg of body weight or 4000 U / g of fat consumed.
- In other conditions, accompanied by pancreatic enzyme insufficiency, the dose is determined depending on the individual characteristics of the patient, including the degree of deficiency in digestion and the fat content in the diet. With the main meal, a dose of 25,000-80000 PIECES of lipase is usually required, with light meals - ½ of the therapeutic dose.
Children Creon 10000 is used only in accordance with the prescriptions of the doctor.
The drug is well tolerated by patients. In some cases, with increased individual sensitivity to enzymes in patients with Creon therapy, the following side effects may develop:
- Allergic reactions - a rash on the skin, redness, severe itching, urticaria;
- On the part of the digestive canal - pain in the epigastric region, nausea, increased salivation, the urge to vomit, constipation, flatulence, increased appetite;
In rare cases, it is possible the development of angioedema or symptoms of anaphylaxis.
With a significant excess of the recommended dose in patients may develop signs of overdose:
- Severe abdominal pain;
- Nausea and vomiting.
The development of hyperuricuria and hyperuricemia is possible. When the patient develops signs of overdose, symptomatic treatment is carried out.
Before you start using the drug, read the specific instructions:
- Chewing, grinding or adding minimicrospheres to foods with a pH greater than 5.5 leads to the destruction of their shell, which protects against the action of gastric juice.
- During treatment, it is important to ensure adequate fluid intake, because its absence can lead to increased constipation.
- To exclude colon lesions, as a precautionary measure in patients with cystic fibrosis, it is recommended to control all unusual symptoms or changes in the abdominal cavity, especially in patients taking more than 10,000 IU of lipase / kg per day.
- Children with cystic fibrosis who take Creon 25000 for a long time should be under constant medical supervision.
- The drug Creon can be taken by patients who practice Judaism and Islam.
Negative impact on the reaction rate and ability to concentrate the attention of the drug does not have.
Clinical studies on drug interactions with other medicines have not been conducted.
If a person other than Creon-10,000, is forced to take other drugs, it is better not to take risks and make the gap between taking medications and enzymes for at least 2 hours.
We picked up some reviews of people taking the drug Creon 10,000:
- Yura. After acute pancreatitis, I began to carefully monitor my nutrition and health. The first month after recovery took the capsule Creon. Doctors explained that they are better than Mezim, because they work faster. The drug really showed itself from the best side, did not cause side effects, I was not sick of it.
- Dasha. Creon is considered quite a popular drug, all my friends in different situations of life periodically took it. So I somehow began to worry about the problems associated with poor digestion and frequent diarrheas. Of course, the drug is expensive, but in comparison with other means it is more effective. Before him saw Pancreatin, from him such a rapid and pronounced therapeutic action was not.
- Valentine. The first time I learned about the drug “Creon”, when a child was 1.5 years old, he was taken to an infectious diseases hospital. Doctors, along with all antibiotics, prescribed “Kreon” (to divide the capsule, mix with some water and give). It was impossible to pour anything into the child, either it came out through the top, or through the bottom. The dehydrated poor child began to recover on the third day. Antibiotics killed the entire microflora, but, as the doctors said, “Creon” will help to normalize everything. On the third day, the child began to eat a little bit, and a week later we were preparing for discharge. “Creon” was prescribed by doctors even after the hospital, and it was restored on it. A month later, my child already ate well and had no problems with digestion.
If the cost of this drug does not suit you, then with the permission of the doctor you can replace it with a cheaper equivalent, whose composition is identical. Cheap analogues. which are most often suggested to replace the following prescription prescribed medicine:
- Mezim Forte;
- Gastenorm Forte;
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Creo or pancreatin which is better?
These two drugs are essentially the same medicine. But there are minimal differences. So Pancreatin (in Latin Pancreatinum) begins to work in the stomach, and Creon in the intestines. The first is available in tablets and is much cheaper, so replacement is often carried out.
What is better is often determined by the patient himself after treatment according to the instructions for use and his own feelings. Doctors have an opinion on the account of both drugs.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Keep out of reach of children at temperature: Creon 10,000 and 25,000 in blisters - up to 20 ºС, Creon 10,000 and 25,000 in bottles - up to 25 ºС, Creon 40000 - up to 30 ºС in tightly closed packaging.
- Creon 10,000 and 25,000 in blisters, Creon 10,000 in vials - 2 years;
- Creon 25,000 and 40,000 in bottles - 3 years.
After opening the bottle, the shelf life is 6 months.