Zoeli is a combined contraceptive with gestagens and estrogens.
Its active ingredients are rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, are associated with plasma proteins and are metabolized in the liver. The medicinal effect is a change in the consistency of the cervical and uterine mucus, the restructuring of the endometrium and the reduction of its properties to the implantation of a fertilized egg. The drug is indicated for use for the prevention of unwanted pregnancy.
On this page you will find all the information about Zoeli: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Zoeli. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Monophasic oral contraceptive.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much does Zoeli cost? The average price in pharmacies is at 3,500 rubles.
Release form and composition
They produce biconvex white round active tablets Zoeli, film-coated, on both sides of which there is an engraving "ne". Each of them contains 1.55 mg of estradiol hemihydrate, 2.5 mg of nomegestrol acetate and excipients - 0.44 mg of colloidal silicon dioxide, 0.7 mg of talc and magnesium stearate, 2.4 mg of microcrystalline cellulose. crospovidone and 57.71 mg of lactose monohydrate.
The composition of the shell covering the tablets includes 1.6 mg of opadra II white.
Complete with active Zoelie tablets, there are round yellow biconvex placebo tablets, on both sides of which there is an engraving “p”. Each of them contains the same excipients as active tablets.
The shell covering the placebo tablets consists of 2.4 mg of opadra II yellow.
Let out tablets Zoeli in blisters from aluminum foil on 28 pieces. (24 active and 4 placebo), with a sticker with the days of the week included.
Estradiol is a natural estrogen, similar to human endogenous 17? -Estradiol (E2). E2 itself, unlike ethinyl estradiol, which is present in the composition of other oral combined contraceptives, does not have an ethynyl group in the 17? Position. The average concentrations of E2 when taking Zoeli are comparable to those in the follicular initial phase and the phase of the yellow body (late) of the menstrual cycle.
Nomegastrol acetate is a highly selective progestogen, a derivative of progesterone - a natural steroid hormone and structurally similar to it. It is endowed with antigonadotropic and moderate antiandrogenic activity, while it does not possess glucocorticoid, mineralocorticoid, androgenic, estrogenic activity. The contraceptive effect of Zoeli tablets is due to a combination of various factors, the most important of which is the change in the secretion of cervical mucus and the immediate suppression of ovulation, which after the withdrawal of the tablets in most women is quickly restored.
The serum concentration of folic acid when taking the drug does not change and remains within six months of sequential administration at the baseline level.
Indications for use
The main indication for use - protection from unwanted pregnancy 24 hours a day for the period of taking the drug. To achieve the effect of contraception, it is enough to take 1 tablet daily, preferably at the same time.
Taking tablets Zoeli stop in case of:
- vaginal bleeding of unknown etiology;
- severe hepatic disease;
- lactase deficiency and lactose intolerance;
- pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis (including in history);
- migraine, accompanied by focal neurological symptoms (including in history);
- liver tumors (both benign and malignant), including a history;
- pancreatitis, accompanied by severe hypertriglyceridemia, including in history;
- multiple or severe risk factors for venous or arterial thrombosis (including: diabetes mellitus, accompanied by vascular signs, severe arterial hypertension, severe dyslipoproteinemia);
- arterial thrombosis (including: impaired blood circulation in the brain, myocardial infarction) or prodromal conditions (including: angina pectoris, transient ischemic attack), including in history.
According to the instructions Zoel is not recommended to take during breastfeeding and with increased sensitivity and / or individual intolerance to one or more components of the drug.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
The drug is not recommended to appoint patients during pregnancy. In the event of pregnancy, the contraceptive should be immediately canceled.
When accidentally taking the drug Zoeli in the initial gestational age, there was no teratogenic effect.
Limited clinical information on the use of this contraceptive in pregnant women shows no negative effect of the drug on the newborn or on the health of the fetus.
The drug has an effect on lactation, changing the composition and amount of breast milk. Accordingly, it is not advisable to take a contraceptive until the suspension of breastfeeding. Together with breast milk, a number of drug metabolites are released, but there is no data on their negative impact on the health of the child.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that the drug Zoeli is intended for oral administration. Recommendations for taking pills are the same for all women.
- The tablets are taken daily at the same time of the day, regardless of the meal, in the order indicated on the package, if necessary with a small amount of water. It should be taken on 1 tab. / Day for 28 consecutive days. Reception should start with white tablets containing the active ingredients, within the first 24 days, and over the next 4 days - yellow tablets that do not contain the active ingredients (placebo). Taking tablets from each subsequent package should be started the next day after taking the last tablet from the previous package, regardless of the presence or absence of withdrawal bleeding. Withdrawal bleeding usually begins 2-3 days after taking the last white pill and may not stop by the start of taking the pills from the next pack.
Start taking Zoeli:
In the absence of previous use of hormonal contraceptives:
- Taking the pills should start on the 1st day of the menstrual cycle (on the first day of the menstrual bleeding). In this case, the use of additional contraceptives is not required. You can start taking pills from the 2nd to 5th day of the cycle, but then during the first 7 days of taking the pills, it is recommended to use a barrier method of contraception.
The transition from drugs containing only progestogen (tablets, implants, injectable forms or hormonal intrauterine systems - IUDs):
- A woman can stop taking pills containing only progestogen on any given day and start taking the drug Zoeli the next day. An implant or an IUD can be removed on any day, and you should start taking Zoeli on the day they are removed. If a woman received an injection, then start taking Zoeli on the day when the next injection should have been given. In all these cases, the woman is recommended to additionally use a barrier method of contraception during the first 7 days of taking pills containing active ingredients.
Switching from a combined hormonal contraceptive (combined oral contraceptive, vaginal ring or transdermal patch):
- It is recommended to start taking Zoeli on the next day after taking the last pill containing the active ingredients, but no later than the next day after completing the usual interval between cycles or taking placebo pills. If a woman used a vaginal ring or a transdermal patch, then it is advisable to start taking Zoeli on the day of their removal, but no later than the day when you should insert a new ring or stick another patch. If a woman constantly and correctly used the previous method of contraception, and there is no doubt that she is not pregnant, then go to the drug Zoeli can also be any day. In no case should not exceed the recommended hormone interval of the previous method.
After an abortion made in the first trimester of pregnancy:
- A woman can start taking the drug right away; in this case, there is no need for an additional method of contraception.
After childbirth or abortion in the second trimester of pregnancy:
- A woman should start taking the drug between the 21st and 28th day after childbirth or abortion in the second trimester. With a later start of the drug is recommended to use an additional barrier method of contraception during the first 7 days of taking the pills. However, if after childbirth or abortion there were already sexual contacts, before starting the administration of the Zoeli drug, it is necessary to exclude pregnancy or wait for the first menstruation.
In case of missing pills:
The following recommendations only concern not to take white tablets containing active ingredients.
If a woman takes another pill with a delay of less than 12 hours, the contraceptive effect does not decrease. A woman should take a pill as soon as possible as soon as she remembers. Subsequent tablets must be taken at the usual time.
If a woman takes an active pill more than 12 hours late, then the contraceptive effect may be reduced. When you skip taking pills, it is advisable to follow two rules:
- to achieve adequate suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian system, white tablets containing active ingredients must be taken for at least 7 consecutive days;
- the more missed white tablets containing active ingredients, and the closer the time taken to take 4 yellow placebo tablets, the higher the risk of pregnancy.
If you miss two or more white pills:
- If, after skipping the intake of two or more white tablets containing the active ingredients, there was no withdrawal bleeding while taking the yellow placebo tablets, then pregnancy should be excluded.
If you miss one white pill containing the active ingredients:
- Contraceptive effect is not reduced. A woman should take the last missed white pill as soon as she remembers, even if she has to take two pills at the same time. Then the tablets should be taken as usual. Additional contraceptive measures are not required.
If you miss the yellow placebo pill:
- Contraceptive effect is not reduced. A woman may not take yellow pills from the last (fourth) row of blisters. However, missed pills should be discarded to avoid an unintended increase in the duration of the placebo phase.
A woman should take the last missed white pill as soon as she remembers, even if she has to take two pills at the same time. Then the tablets should be taken as usual. At the same time during the first week of continuous use of white pills, you must use the barrier method of contraception. If during the previous 7 days there was sexual intercourse, then you should consider the possibility of pregnancy.
A woman should take the last missed white pill as soon as she remembers, even if she has to take two pills at the same time. Then the tablets should be taken as usual. However, over the next 7 days of taking white pills, you must use a barrier method of contraception.
The risk of reducing the contraceptive effect increases with the onset of the start of the yellow placebo pills. However, a change in the pill regimen avoids a reduction in contraceptive action. A woman should take the last missed white pill as soon as she remembers, even if she has to take two pills at the same time. You can not simultaneously take more than two white tablets containing active ingredients. Over the next 7 days of taking the white pills, you must use a barrier method of contraception, and the next pack should be started immediately after the end of the white pills from the previous pack, i.e. women should not take yellow placebo pills. In this case, withdrawal bleeding usually occurs while taking the yellow pills from the next pack, but while taking the white pills, breakthrough bleeding or spotting may occur.
If a woman is not sure about the number of missed pills or their color and, accordingly, does not know what recommendations she should follow, then it is necessary to use a barrier method of contraception until the woman takes white pills for 7 consecutive days.
How to move or delay the onset of menstrual bleeding:
- To delay the onset of menstrual bleeding, a woman should continue taking white pills from another package without taking yellow pills. White tablets from the second package can be continued until they run out. After completion of taking the yellow pills from the second package, you must resume taking the drug Soely in the usual way. With an extended regimen, breakthrough bleeding or spotting may occur.
Recommendations for gastrointestinal disorders:
- In the case of gastrointestinal disorders (for example, vomiting or diarrhea), the absorption of the drug may be incomplete, so additional contraceptive measures should be resorted to.
If vomiting occurs within 3-4 hours after taking the pill, then its reception should be considered missed. If you miss one white pill, the contraceptive effect is not reduced. If vomiting develops again the next day or days, it is necessary to follow the recommendations for skipping two or more tablets. If a woman does not want to change the usual pill regimen, she should take an extra white pill or pills from another package.
Zoeli is well tolerated. May cause the following side effects:
- decreased libido
- mood swings
- breast tenderness,
- irregular withdrawal bleeding,
- pelvic pain syndrome,
- weight gain.
Side effects such as breast engorgement, dry vulva and vagina, premenstrual syndrome, hypomenorrhea, galactorrhea, dyspareunia, uterine spasm, condensation in the mammary glands, hot flashes, increased appetite, fluid retention, abdominal distension, dry skin, alopecia, and itching are rarely observed. , hyperhidrosis and seborrhea.
The drug can cause a decrease in appetite, hunger, impaired attention, dry mouth, an unpleasant smell and discomfort in the vagina, chloasma, hypertrichosis, increased libido and dry eyes, which can lead to intolerance to contact lenses.
With an overdose of Zoeli, there were no serious consequences. Among the possible side effects with a fivefold increase in the daily rate, or forty times (if you take the whole blaster at a time), there is nausea, bleeding from the vagina as during the onset of menstruation, as well as emetic urges. After overdose, treatment of the symptoms manifested is indicated.
The more missed pills with the active substance and the closer the time of receiving placebo, the higher the likelihood of pregnancy.
There is a definite link between the use of combined oral contraceptives based on ethinyl estradiol and an increased risk of arterial and venous thrombosis and thromboembolism. The highest risk of developing venous thrombosis and embolism is observed during the first year after the start of taking CPC.
With persistent human papillomavirus (HPV) infection, there is a risk of developing cervical cancer. Prolonged use of preparations containing ethinyl estradiol increases this risk.
If there is a hypertriglyceridemia in the family or personal history of a woman, there is an increased risk of developing pancreatitis while taking PDA.
Please note: to determine the exact interaction is possible only after a thorough acquaintance with the instructions of other drugs and comparing the results with Zoeli.
The interaction of COCs with any other drugs can cause side effects such as bleeding from the vagina, as well as a decrease in the contraceptive function of Zoeli in particular. One of the common interactions involves hepatic metabolism, in particular with liver enzymes. As a result, the level of sex hormones (GHG clearance) may increase. Among the drugs of this group, the interaction of this nature with Topiramate, Carbamazepine, Phenytoin, Birbiturates, Primidone, Oscarbazepine, Rifampicin has already been determined.
Please note that you need to use additional barrier contraception within 28 days after taking or removing the inductors of microsomal enzymes. For example, ketoconazole may cause an increase in plasma GHG levels. If you have taken drugs of this group for a long time, it is worth refusing to protect any COC, be it Zoeli, an analogue of the drug. The effectiveness of Zoeli, like any other ethinyl estradiol-based COCs, is reduced during the period of antibiotics, including ampicillin and tetracycline. Reliable research on this issue yet. Therefore, there is an opinion about the need for additional barrier contraception during the period of taking such drugs, as well as during the week after completion of the treatment course. In this case, it is recommended to skip the period of taking pills without active ingredients (placebo), and immediately switch to a new package of contraceptive.
There is also a downside; Soely tablets can affect the efficacy of using any other medicines.
We picked up some reviews of women about Zoeli:
- Lera. In my opinion, an excellent drug, at least, my body fit perfectly. To avoid side effects, you need to take at the same time (at least for me it works). Previously, set the alarm even, but now it has developed a habit. For 7 months of taking no negative effects on myself did not feel.
- Alyona. On the advice of a friend I bought zoeli, I began to take the third pack and noticed that my skin had become much cleaner, no longer sprinkles me over my entire face before menstruation. This is what I have long dreamed of. but most importantly, of course, that these pills reliably protect against unwanted pregnancy.
- Margarita. There was a question about the choice of protection from unwanted pregnancy (there was a constant MCH). I decided to try hormonal pills after the advice of a gynecologist. She assigned me Zoeli, telling me the details of the regimen. The first month was a nightmare. I felt pregnant with toxemia. I was nauseated, my head was spinning, but on the advice of a doctor I finished my first month. She could not take more, returned to barrier contraceptives.
Structural analogues of the active substance medicine Zoeli has not. The drug is unique in the combination of active ingredients that make up.
Incomplete analogs of Zoeli are represented by the following contraceptive drugs:
- Three regol;
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Zoeli or Kleira - which is better?
Despite some differences in the composition of the active ingredients, nomegestrol + estradiol in Zoeli and dienogest + estradiol valerate in Kleire are almost identical to the mechanism of action of both drugs. Both drugs are microdose, however, Kleir, in each group of tablets (different in color), contains a different mass fraction of active substances, whereas in Zoeli the dosage in each active tablet is the same. These contraceptives practically repeat each other, both in contraindications and in side effects. In this regard, to give a definite answer, which of these drugs is better is not possible.
Oral contraceptives of hormonal action are selected individually and best of all a suitable drug can be prescribed only after taking a lot of tests and passing some studies. Do not forget about chronic diseases, painful conditions in history (both in their own and in the family) and many other factors that may also affect the choice of contraceptive.
Whatever your choice between Zoeli and Claire, it should be remembered that these drugs, when strictly following the recommendations for their administration, are highly effective and cause fewer side effects compared to other contraceptives. But the choice of KOC must be strictly individual.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Zoeli's shelf life is 3 years. Tablets should be stored in their original packaging in a dark, dry place at temperatures up to 30 ºС.