Fungal lesions of the nails and hands are not palatable. This is an infectious disease transmitted from a sick person through direct contact. An infected person leaves the spores of a dermatophyte fungus everywhere in the places it touches.
For example, the fungus of the nails of the hands can be infected in every place where there are suitable conditions for life and for the growth of the fungus. He needs a temperature of no more than 75 degrees, a dark place, humidity, a high alkaline index and a good nutrient medium.
From an already ill person on household items or in public places there are pores that very quickly find a new owner.
The main pathogens of the infection process in the nail plate of the hands are 2 types of fungi - dermatophytes (Trichophytonrubrum and Trichophytonmentcigrophytes) and a yeast fungus of the genus Candida (Candidaalbicans).
The mechanism of infection of fungal spores is simple to ugliness. A piece of skin or spore falls on the area of the unaffected nail and begins to actively settle there. Although an important role is played by the immune defense. If it works at the proper level, there will be no place for the fungus. But when it is weakened, the spores are actively divided and onychomycosis of the fingernails develops.
Fungus under the nail on the hand - a disease that needs early diagnosis and timely treatment. An accurate diagnosis is made only after examining and examining a piece of nail under a microscope. The sooner the doctor gives you the correct diagnosis, the faster and more reliably you will get rid of the fungus.
The fungus may not manifest itself for some time after a lesion. The first sign of mycosis of the skin of the hands in the active stage is persistent itching of the palms and interdigital folds. Usually manifested after washing hands or taking a shower.
Then the nail plate begins to exfoliate, it becomes thinner or, conversely, thicker. It changes color, and its surface becomes clumsy, the skin in the nail zone begins to peel off and itch.
Between the fingers and on the palms the fungus manifests itself as follows:
- peeling appears
- small cracks
- pale pink and sometimes mauve or red spots appear gradually.
In particularly advanced cases, the final stage of the fungus on the fingers and nail plates is the complete destruction of the nail. Over time, the symptoms of onychomycosis increase, and only constant and regular treatment can stop the destructive effects of the fungus.
Nail fungus on hands photo: initial stage
How does the fungal infection of the fingers and nails in the initial and advanced stage. More on the photo.
Treatment of nail fungus on the hands
It is necessary to recognize that in the event of a fungal infection of the nails on the hands - the treatment is long and requires some patience.
Usually in advanced cases it lasts 6-8 months. In the initial stage of the fungus, with timely referral to a specialist, treatment can take from several weeks to 2-3 months. In case the nail is hopelessly affected, it will have to be removed.
Most of the funds for the treatment of fungus are available in the form of ointments or creams in order to act locally on the lesion. However, the doctor may also prescribe pills to enhance the therapy — some antifungal drugs are also produced in this form.
In the initial stage, when the fungus affects less than 60% of the nail on the hand, special varnishes effectively help to get rid of onychomycosis.
- Batrafen. Treatment regimen: the first month is applied on the affected nail 1 time in 2 days, the second is applied 2 times in 7 days, the third is used 1 time in 30 days. The course of treatment is 3-6 months.
- Spray Terbix. Before applying the spray, it is necessary to clean and degrease the affected area with alcohol, spray the preparation on it and nearby skin areas. Use the drug 1-2 times a day.
- Demicten The use of the drug helps to get rid of the unpleasant smell and kill the fungus. Varnish is applied to the affected area every day.
If you detect the first symptoms of nail fungus, you must begin treatment with varnishes, then the chance to cure the fungus without prolonged use of the tablets will increase.
Cream and ointment
Before treating the nail fungus with one of the listed remedies, you need to steam the nails in a warm bath with herbs, soap or soda. The cream and ointment are rubbed with a massaging motion into the nail and nearby tissues 1-2 times a day, unless otherwise specified in the instructions.
- Lamisil (cream, gel). Before applying clean the affected area of the nail. Use cream daily 1-2 times a day.
- Terbinafin (cream, ointment). Apply to fight with different types of nail fungi. The drug is used by applying on the sore nail 1-2 times a day.
The main drawback of creams and gels is the impossibility of the active ingredients to penetrate deep into the nail plate, to the bed, and in fact it is there that the most viable fungi accumulate. When using lacquers, you can be calm: they penetrate the nail tissue and accumulate in them, thereby forming a high antifungal efficacy
To treat nail fungus on hands only with the help of local medicines (ointment, varnish, spray) makes no sense in cases where the damage to the nail plate is more than of its total area.
Groups of systemic drugs used to treat nail fungus in the advanced stage:
- Triazoles (fluconazole and intraconazole) are third generation antimycotics: Diflazon, Diflucan, Medoflucon, Irunin, Orungal, Rumicoz, etc.
- Allylamines (terbinafine): Lamikan, Onyhon, Tebikur, Terbizil, Terbinafin, Terbinox, Termikon, Fungerbin, Exiter, Exifin, etc.
- Imidazoles (ketoconazole, etc.) - second generation antimycotics: Nizoral, Fungavis, Ketoconazole DS, Oronazole, Fungikok, Fungistab, etc.
In severe fungal infections and low efficacy of local procedures, the use of the antifungal tablets listed above is shown. They can only be appointed by a specialist, as the schedule and terms of admission must be strictly followed.
How to treat the fungus at home
Treatment of nail fungus on the hands of folk remedies is very specific. A lot of recommendations. I will give the most popular.
- One of such methods is the treatment of all nails with a solution of propolis with a concentration of 20%, which is sold in a pharmacy. To do this, apply the solution on a cotton sponge and attach to the sick nails for a couple of minutes. For complete recovery, the procedure must be done every day.
- Combine 3 liters of water and 1 l of apple cider vinegar, add a little potassium permanganate to the solution. In this bath hold your feet for 10-15 minutes and wipe them carefully. The procedure is repeated every evening during the week.
- Pinch off a piece of Kombucha, carefully remove the film from it. Purified mushroom mash in a homogeneous mush. Thoroughly rub it into the affected nails twice a day.
- Lather a nail with tar soap, dip it in salt and tie it with a bandage for the whole night.
To prevent the reproduction of fungi that are deep under the nail, folk remedies can not. If you really want, then you can use them as an addition to the main therapy, but only if the doctor approves.
Remember that hand nail fungus, like many other diseases, is easier to prevent than to cure!
Care should be taken when visiting the pool and public baths - you need to wear individual shoes in such places and use only personal hygiene items. Having received a nail fungus on the legs, you can easily transfer it to your hands.
Hand care will help protect yourself from nail damage - timely treatment of microtraumas, nail content in dryness and cleanliness, treatment of excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) of the palms.